Quick Response Actions to Take when Violation is Suspected involving Runoff or Spill Issues

If you observe a non-exempt discharge from a factory farm facility or its waste disposal area, you should report it to the IEPABe very specific about location, date & time, details of your observations. Document the contaminated area with your own photos - and use date on camera or sign in foreground with date. If you have a Smart Phone, use this to capture the photos.

In addition, if you are experiencing impacts from emissions or odor from a factory farm, you should report it to the IEPA.  Water and odor complaints should be made immediately. Be very specific about location, date & time, details of your observations.

File a complaint with the appropriate regional field office. You can find information on which regional office to contact here. Include precise details of your IEPA report, IEPA's response (or no answer), and your photos. A good relationship with your regional field office representative, who may be responsible for multiple counties, may make the difference between an immediate response or no answer.

Finally, write an email that briefly expresses your observations and your concerns related to the spill, water or odor complaint. Send this to the individuals listed below for maximum exposure to the issue you are respectfully addressing. Request a response. Ask what level of action they are taking in response to the increasing evidence of toxic air, contaminated wells, and violation of public health.

IEPA Director Alec Messina Alec.Messina@illinois.gov

IEPA Deputy Director Donovan Griffith Donovan.Griffith@illinois.gov

Your State Senator  

Your State Representative 

Keep copies of every email you send. Consider printing out copies and keeping all together in a single folder.

Be the teacher for the next person needing help.

ICCAW can assist you in monitoring and documenting pollution from factory farms, and can also assist with complaint filing if necessary.

Information on how to submit a complaint with IEPA is available here.